Maximizing your limited time, prioritizing and focusing will allow you to thrive at work. Working smarter, not harder, and leveraging your time leads to achieving faster and better results. Prioritize your time by knowing what is important vs. what is urgent increases focus and productivity. Respect your time while making the most effective use of it. Honestly, I don’t use a To Do list. I have learned I don’t need them with a tickler system. But, if you are one of those that just can’t let go of your To Do List, here are some tips that may help:
1. Setting Priorities must be at the top of your To Do List.
2. Keep things simple.
3. Spend some time eliminating or delegating the items on your To Do List so the items left are the priority items that must be done by you.
4. Be realistic about how long things take to do (most of us underestimate by 1/12 to twice our time). If you get done early you have time to relax or work on items you enjoy.
5. Schedule your projects based on your energy level. Know your own energy peaks and valleys. A daily fluctuation in physical and emotional energy affects productivity. Schedule critical activities for your prime time. If you are a morning person do not waste time reading e-mail, etc. Make the most of your high energy times.
6. Make appointments with yourself and DON’T STAND YOURSELF UP!
7. Break large projects into small tasks. Mind mapping helps.
8. Show up, stay in the moment, and be present with what you are doing.